Português of the Week

comemoração - celebration

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Obamapalooza

What starts with a B-O-B and will be in Brazil next month?

If you guessed me, then...um...then, I guess you're right.

But besides me, there's another correct answer.

B. Obama.

I saved a Brazilian newspaper from November 6th, 2008.
*Carnaval would have been canceled if McCain got elected.*


Earlier this week, it was announced that our chief of state will begin his first South American trip. Starting in Chile. Then Brazil. And eventually finishing things up in El Salvador. Seems like the 2 most populated countries in the western hemisphere are trying to strengthen their ties. Yay! Why is this important? Well, a buncha reasons. Mostly because I'm interested in it. Also, because Brazilian ex-president Lula (known as the most popular politician on earth) pissed off the Obama administration when he dabbled in peace negotiations with the Middle East. He ultimately favored diplomacy over sanctions in regards to Iran's nuclear security. We don't like diplomacy, Lula. It's an ugly word. Why talk things out when you can just slap a law on it? That explains all the j-walking in Rio. Lawless hooligans.

Dilma Rousseff is Lula's successor (one-upping our first black president as the first female president). She and Obama will discuss the future of our countries. No doubt followed by a quick bodysurfing session and a few caipirinhas.

On a notsosimilar note, I bumped into Stephen Perkins, the drummer of Jane's Addition, this weekend. After ordering his usual, 2 lattes and a blueberry muffin, he informed me that Lollapalooza will also be making debut stops in Chile and Brazil this summer. It seems that the Windy City is blowing south this year.

(For you slower folks, Barack Obama and Lollapalooza are both from Chicago. Chicago is known as the Windy City...and wind blows).

me at Lollapalooza in 2006

Stephen gave me his number and said to get a hold of him when he's down there. He'd get me passes and "set me up". I don't know why, but for a brief second I felt known by a huge rock star. I quickly realized that wasn't true. In part because sometimes people just say nice things. Mostly, though, because the number he jotted down was 310-555-YOUREANIDIOT.

So I have 6 days and 7 nights left in the United States. That means I have 6 days and 7 nights left of different kinds of food. After that it's rice, beans, meat and the occasional sheesh (loyal keepinitrio followers know what a sheesh is). So if anyone in LA wants to grab some Curry, Pho, Burritos, or pretty much just any meal, let me know.

Big things are happening in Rio, man. Big things. It's the OBAMAPALOOZA. It's blowing up like a Russian airport. Too soon?

Well, I'm sure there will be one or two more posts before my grand departure. Until then, keep that shit Rio.

No comments: